I play the cello.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Journalism Part 1: Shoes

I remember waking up and getting ready in the morning. I remember initially going inside Angelica's car. I remember being in front of Vincent's house. I remember being at BART. I remember buying my ticket and I remember squishing three people into one seat. I remember people telling us where to go for the bus. I remember being on the bus. I don't remember any of the times in between.
Once we got to the school, Vincent bought coffee ... with my money. I lent Vincent money for the bus, I remember. There was a journalism conference in the city today. I woke up at 5:30, Angelica picked me up at 6:30, and the conference started at 8: 30. When we got to the school we were so early they wouldn't let us sign in.

Angelica and I went to the bathroom to be girls. She wanted to put eyeliner on my lower lids, but I refused because it makes me look like a raccoon. When other journalism kids from other schools started to file in, I said that we had to find me a white boy. Looking around, everyone was white or Asian. There were so many white kids!

We, being the psychotic journalism kids we are, stood in the corner and started referring to both of the Angelicas as mom, and Vincent as papa. Oh! We got lost on campus, too. Angelica 2 and Simon were Daphne and Freddie. Vincent was Shaggy and Angelica 1 was Scooby. I was Velma.

Inside the welcoming presentation thing, this boy was sitting in front of Angelica 1 and he kept looking at me. Then Angelica 1 became a spastic queen and noticed, and started counting all the times he looked at me. He was a white boy. They asked me if I wanted that one, him, and I said I didn't know.

Angelica 1 and I went to the first conference session together. It was about radio journalism. There was a more professional sounding name, but I can't remember it. This boy who looked JUST LIKE KURT was there. I stared at him all day. It too all my self-control not to touch his hair. The staring boy was also there.

After that presentation, Vincent and I went to the photojournalism presentation. We both had to go to the bathroom, though, so we left. There was something yellow in or on all of the toilets in the bathroom, all but one. I used the one that wasn't visibly yellow. I somehow managed to get soap on my pants, too.

When we finished our bathroom trips we went back to the presentation room, but the door was shut and locked. Vincent knocked and I tried my best to duck behind him. The room was very crowded, staring boy was directly across the room from me. Vincent and I stood in the doorway, and we had to hold open to door. The presentation was really interesting, and I learnt a lot of new concepts about taking photos for newspapers. It was sort of upsetting Vincent and I couldn't see the slideshow with all the ... pictures in it. I could see the staring boy stare at me, every once in a while.

Angelica 1 and I went to a presentation about ... something. I can't really remember. We were all just really hungry. Angelica 1 and I met up with Vincent to go to lunch. We couldn't find Angelica 2 and Simon, so we just assumed they would find their ways. Angelica 1, Vincent, and I followed the directions to get out of the building, but then everyone was just standing there.

I said, "Let's be investigative journalists!" After Vincent said he felt like we were supposed to go in a certain direction. We went in his direction to be investigative, and then everyone started to follow us. The people in charge assumed we were journalists and could figure it out on our own. Thank the journalism gods we were there, otherwise all the other kids would have starved.

Angelica 2 and Simon were already in the cafeteria; they saved a tale for all of us. When I sat down at the table, I saw staring boy at the table directly across from us. We all stood in line for lunch, Angelica 1 and I were together since vegetarians had to stick together. It was fun to sit around with my journalism kids. Angelica 1 and I have the same taste in white boys. We all talked about shoes and I don't remember what else. The keynote speaker talked for too long, though her presentation was interesting. Angelica 1, Angelica 2, and Simon all got seconds on the sandwiches. It was so funny. They just kept laughing. During the speech, I kept putting on lip-gloss. Vincent texted. Everyone else ate.

When we were finally released from lunch and the speech, we got to hang around campus for a while. I was very unladylike and wandered around while Angelica 1 and 2 were girls in the bathroom. When we were outside, Angelica 1 sat on a railing. I used a rock to help myself up, but scraped my hand in the process of trying to sit on the other railing.

"Elizabeth, why did you do that?"
"I wanted to be like you..."
"Aww!"

Then Angelica 1 and I went to a presentation on taking over the internet. It was very inspiring, and I think it was my favorite presentation because the speaker was really cute. We finally had our last presentation, and it was short. The conference ended at 3: 30. We were all just so tired.

No comments: