I play the cello.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Journalism Part 2: Growing Balls

Simon started a blog today:


But the reason for this post is because Elizabeth R. shook off her “socially awkward band kid” image when she approached a young man, that she was eying throughout the day, and had a two and a half minute conversation.
Congrats Elizabeth!! Angelica, Angelica, Vincent, and I were the witnesses of you growing “balls”.
We all have new found respect for you Liz! This post is to you.


We were too loud and rude when leaving the campus, people looked at us. But, we're always the group that's way too loud. Our journalism class consists of a bunch of loud cultures. We have a Filipino, an Italian, a Jew, a Mexican, and an El Salvadorian. It's in our blood to be too loud and to eat too much. There was a presentation on avoiding stereotypes in the paper and everyone wanted to go.

"Are you serious? Look at the kids in our class, if we stereotype one group, somebody pipes up and is like, 'hey, that's not true!'" Then Simon supported me by making a comment about me being white or Jewish or homely. I don't remember. It didn't support my idea, but we all laughed.

As we waited at the bus stop, I saw the staring boy sitting by himself. I told Angelica 1 to look, and she started freaking out. Everyone started freaking out. Angelica 1 said she wouldn't be my friend if I didn't go over and talk to him. Everyone started saying I don't have any "balls" and ... they peer-pressured me. I told Angelica 1 if she called the bus station to see when the bus was coming, and we had more than two minutes, I'd go talk to him. So, she whipped out her phone and said I had three minutes.

Initially, I took about three steps in his general direction, but abruptly stopped behind a bush. I just happened to stop in the most stalker-like place, but it was unintentional. They all thought I wasn't going to do it. Angelica 1 had already looked away when I walked over to him.

He was looking in the other direction. I sat down and he smiled at me. It was very nice.

I introduced myself. His name was Jeremy (which I later found out is spelled at Jérémie). He asked my school, I asked his. I told him my friends were loud instead of telling him I have no shame, which was my first instinct. I asked where his accent was from because he had an accent. He said he's from Belgium. I told him my favorite science teacher is from Belgium, which isn't entirely true since Mr. Brown only lived there six years. Then I saw my bus so I told him I saw my bus. Angelica yelled my name as I stood up, so I said bye and walked away.

Everyone was freaking out. They had me tell them everything that was said and everything that had happened. Angelica must have hugged me five times. They exclaimed I have "balls." I said this is what we should put in the paper for reasons why kids should join next year.

When we were coming home on BART, I realized I have never done anything here. This was my first time taking BART into the city with friends; it was my fist time taking BART with friends. It was the first time I bought my own BART ticket, and the first time I rode a bus.

I hate it here because I've never done anything. There are so many places a person can go, so many places to see, and so many things to do. I've done nothing. My life is so secluded to my school and my parents and my temple. Now I am leaving, the time approaching so rapidly, and the opportunities I have missed and experiences I have never had are just becoming apparent. I guess this is what happens when you leave a place. 

Today was so wonderful. It was an adventure, even if just a slight one. I like the person I am, and the things I can do. I hope for more days like this, days of small adventures and horizon expanding. I can't wait to leave.

No comments: