I play the cello.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The extent of glamor in Marching Band.

I am going to take a few minutes to complain about my back.

In November 2008, I began to have back problems. It was the end of my first season of marching band, and toward the end it became difficult to carry my drum. My back would get stiff very quickly, and it cracked frequently. It didn't hurt all the time, though.

For winter percussion, I continued drumming and was put on a drum larger than my first. I had to wear a brace because I couldn't stand up on my own. Despite my worsening back pain, I continued playing. My drumming improved, I had a boyfriend, and I loved my friends in the drumline. Everyone who marched my drum had back pain.

Marching band season began again in July, I kept drumming. I was put on my original drum, but it was much more difficult. My back always hurt, at this point in time. It hurt to bend down, and my back would crack all the time. Toward the end of the season, I was put on the bigger drum. My original drum weighed about twenty pounds, so I assume the bigger drum weighed about thirty.

The day after marching band championships, I went to New York for a week. I fell asleep on the flight and didn't wake up until we landed. My back hurt so much; I couldn't stand up straight. For the next three days, I walked around with a hot water bottle. It was then I decided marching for another season wasn't worth it.

As time passed, the pain continued and worsened. Sometimes my back hurts so much I can't move. It cracks all the time. I came to the conclusion that I would have back pain for the rest of my life. Sometimes I cannot lie down flat on my back because it hurts to relax. My back swells about once a week, like it did today.

Friday I went to see my doctor about my back. I thought there must be something for the pain. After feeling my spine and poking in various places, my doctor referred me to get an x-ray. Six hours later I found out I have a stress fracture in my lower back, and I nearly have a different type of fracture in my shoulder blades. Once my insurance approves it, I'll have an MRI to confirm it's nothing more serious. Then I'll be put on medication for pain and supplements to strengthen my bones, and I'll start physical therapy. If it's something more serious, then I'll have to have surgery.

I'm old.


No comments: